Creating the Greenest Neighborhood in Fresno
How does cohousing reduce energy consumption?
•Energy Star appliances, low-water-use fixtures, ample natural light, and active/passive cooling/heating techniques will dramatically reduce monthly utility bills.
•Super-insulation, radiant barriers, and highly energy efficient windows keep your home cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
How does cohousing create a healthy, safe environment?
• Bright, naturally daylit rooms enhance emotional well-being.
• Living within walking distance of schools, parks, shopping, restaurants and bicycle paths reduces dependence on automobiles and increases opportunities for exercise.
• Low-toxicity building materials maximize indoor air quality.
• Community and private gardens make it easier to eat more organic produce.
• Communities are safer when neighbors really know each other.
What is a truly “Green” home?
In these days of concern about global warming, about our “addiction to oil”, and of concern for preserving or resources, more and more builders are moving toward “Green” building. What does this really mean, and how can you find out just how “Green” a builder is?
Here are a few questions to ask a builder:
- Do your use advanced framing techniques that reduce the use of lumber by as much as 40%?
- Do your homes exceed the California “Title 24” energy requirements?
- Do you use recycled paint?
- Will the windows in your homes be fully shaded from the noontime, summer sun?
- Do you use insulation that is made from 100% recycled cellulose?
- Are all of your building materials non-toxic, low VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) materials?
- Are your air conditioning systems free of ozone-depleting CFC and HCFC refrigerants?
- Have your designs received awards from the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) for innovation and energy efficiency?
“Green” building involves these things, and a lot more, but these questions can give you a good idea if a builder builds Green, or just talks Green.
You might be interested to know that for the Fresno Cohousing project, La Querencia, the answer to all of the above questions is YES!
Download Sustainable Design Features of Fresno Cohousing PDF
Why live in cohousing? Reason number 235: We never have to worry about boarding our pets when going away. There is always someone to take care of them. read more